Being a trailing spouse isn’t an easy task…..firstly you are agreeing to leave your nearest and dearest, you are temporarily giving up your career , and you are taking a massive leap of faith that everything is going to work out!!
Being young, ambitious and straight out of university, choosing to move abroad for my boyfriend was a big decision, and one i did not take lightheartedly. Although the initial reason we moved was for his job, I have no intention in sacrificing my own career and see it as an opportunity instead to widen and extend my opportunities.
However that does not mean it has been a walk in the park so far, and I still have a long way to go before I am where I want to be, but meanwhile I wanted to share some of my top tips with you that I have been using to stay positive and integrate into my new life as well as possible!
1. Learning the language…..although this may be pricey, i believe learning the native language of your country is priceless and will open up a whole world of opportunities for you both socially and professionally.
2. Put yourself in awkward social situations….so we all hate those new situations where you don’t know anybody, and sometimes it just feels easier to hide yourself away…DON’T DO IT…..putting yourself in these situations is a great way to meet new people, possibly create life long friendships, and a great way to meet contacts which might lead to new career prospects.
3. Find your own path – finding your own path away from your spouse is key to your integration into a new country, whether it be charity work, a hobby or a new job, it’s important that you have your own identity and life away from your partner.
4. Transport….learning to drive, buying a car, or getting to grips with the public transport system is key for your freedom…..without this you will find yourself feeling limited and trapped in the confines of your house.
5. Make a home from home…..this point is vital…..make sure where you call home feels like a home… a haven that you can switch off in and forget about the outside world no matter where in the world you are, a space where you can relax and unwind!
There is a long road ahead but the key is to stay positive and keep smiling, I will share my trials and tribulations over here with you…and hope that you will share some of yours with me also!
Au revoir mes amis x